Lotherton Hall is a beautiful Georgian Stately Home just to the North of Leeds, near Aberford, West Yorkshire, England. It is open to the public and hosts a variety of events throughout the year.
Attractions include the Bird Garden, the Formal Gardens, Gift Shop, Tea Rooms, exhibitions.
The building has been home to a number of prominent families, including the Nevilles (notably Archbishop George Neville, younger brother of Warwick the Kingmaker), the de Hothams, and finally the Gascoignes in 1825. Richard Trench Gascoigne took up ownership of the house following the death of his aunt Elizabeth, wife of Lord Ashtown, in 1893. It became the main residence of the Gascoigne family after the death of Richard’s father Frederick at Parlington Hall in 1905. Between 1914 and 1918, the Hall was used as a V.A.D. hospital.
The house is sited on part of the Gascoigne estate, and was presented for public access to the City of Leeds in 1968 by Sir Alvary Gascoigne and his wife, last of the Gascoigne family, whose roots were at Parlington Hall.
The estate is now home to an extensive collection of rare and endangered bird species and a herd of red deer and llamas. There is a large expanse of grassland in front of the bird sanctuary, typically used during the summer months for ball games and picnics. Behind the Hall itself a further field is often used to host shows, such as an annual motorcycle show.
The Hall, which was extensively rebuilt during the Victorian and Edwardian eras, holds an impressive collection of objets d’art which has been built up since the 18th century and which are now on public display.
The Hall is licensed to hold wedding and civil partnership ceremonies